Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Blog Post #14


This is an interesting article to read and the questions put forth by Dr. Strange is even more interesting because of the points of view he asks us to write from. This article is basically about Dr. Adrian Guardia and the new technology produced by Pearson, McGraw-Hill and others called, "CourseSmart". This technology allows for the professor to check to see if the student has opened the E-Book, took notes or even highlighted things in the text. It's only in it's trial run right now at about 8 universities, but the producers are looking for the CourseSmart to go nationwide. 

Dr. Strange asked for different view points of this technology. We are supposed to write from the point of view of a teacher and student:

Point of View#1: Teacher
As a teacher, I think that I am on the fence about this. I would love to know if my students are really opening their books at night and taking notes, but how do I know that they are not just jotting things down in the notebook they use or class? I realize that some students are not always honest, but technology still has its flaws as well. I think I would like it because it would give me a great way to keep track of my students' progress in my class. It would allow me to see what they understand and what they do not understand. I would then email the student and give him or her feedback and answers to questions about the lesson.

Point of View#2: Student
As a student, I would think this would be an invasion of my academic privacy. If I read my materials for class is on me and if I don't, it's still on me. I really don't appreciate the "Big Brother" thing. I am really not the type that types out notes. I don't retain information well unless I hand wrote them myself. Why? The answer to that would be because these are my thoughts and perceptions of the lesson. On the other hand, I think it may improve my study habits because it would force me to read because I know that I am receiving a grade for the material that I read and took notes on. I would be a good study buddy as well. My teacher would be able to see where I am struggling and where I am excelling. I think that is important as well. I honestly feel as though, it is a "Catch 22". 

Questions for Dr. Adrian Guardia
  1. How do you know if the student isn't writing down notes on paper?
  2. Do you feel as if this is an invasive technology?
  3. How do you know if your students are really reading or if they are just leaving the books open?
  4. How do you think this would do at other universities?
  5. Do you think that this would work on a grade school level?
  6. Do you think your students study habits will progress or regress?
  7. Do you think that your students even like the idea of being monitored like this?
  8. Do you feel as though this is helpful? If so, in what ways?
  9. Would you recommend this to another professor?
  10. What modifications would you suggest for "CourseSmart"?
Questions for Students of Dr. Adrian Guardia
  1. Do you prefer typing out your notes or hand-writing your notes?
  2. Do you feel that "CourseSmart" is helpful to you? If so, how?
  3. Have you developed better or worse study habits?
  4. Do you even read the E-text? 
  5. Do you think that you are a responsible student?
  6. How has Dr. Guardia's class changed since the "CourseSmart" was introduced?
  7. If you were Mr. Guardia, how would you modify "CourseSmart"?
  8. What would you tell the publishing companies (Pearson, McGraw-Hill) about their technology?
My comment for this article would be as follows:

"My name is Daphney McFadden. I am a student at the University of South Alabama in EDM310 with Dr. John Strange. I was reading your article and found it to be very interesting. I am not sure if I should be impressed or mildly disturbed. I say this because, as a student, I would not want my teacher going into my textbook reading my notes. My notes is how I remember my material and sometimes can be private. That may be because I am a private person. I'm not sure. Another thing, I am the type of student that preferred hand-written notes to typed notes. On the other hand, as a future teacher, I can see where this is beneficial to my students. It would show me progress or regress and I think I would feel a better connection to them. I think it is an interesting idea and I am not in opposition to change for the betterment of learning. I hope that things go well in your classroom and I hope to see a post about the progress of the "CourseSmart" Technology in the near future. " 


No comments:

Post a Comment