Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Post #13: NO TECHNOLOGY

I can honestly say after completing this assignment, I had never realized how much I depend on technology. It was interesting because earlier this week someone hit a light pole and knocked the power out that supplied an entire city block so we were without power for a day and a half.  Going without my computer was the most difficult for me because IT'S FINALS!!! As a college student, finals is a do or die moment for your GPA and that day and a half gave me a chance to study my textbooks for my Biology and Government class. My grandfather is a very passive individual and seeing him go to laying on the couch in the den reminded me of when Hurricane Katrina powered through the Gulf Coast. That was one of the most scariest times in my life. I felt like I was on a lone island all alone with my thoughts, studies and mixed emotions about my relationship.

Margarett Lockett, my great-grandmother

When I first read the assignment, I thought to myself, " Daphney, there is no way that you can do this because you use too much technology everyday for personal and educational use. What is Dr. Strange thinking? How are we supposed to do this assignment and study!!!" As the experiment progressed I began to realize that it was not as bad as I thought. I paid my great grandmother a visit. She is 87 years old and has been living on Magee Street in the Prichard community for 68 years!! She told me stories about her childhood and I got to learn loads about her childhood. She even told me stories about how my uncle and grandmother would get into trouble. They would hide in her Cedar Robe when they knew they had done something wrong. I found myself laughing as hard, I almost came to tears because my sides were hurting from laughing so much. He told me the story of her parents and her grandparents. Considering that I am in training to be my family historian, this was an epic event. To end my time there, great-granny and I went to the park for a walk. 

I think that not having my cell phone was the hardest part of my experience. My boyfriend is out of town and not being able to talk to him was the hardest part of all this. Even though it was hard, I think that the separation was best for us because it allowed us to miss one another. After the 24 hours was up, I received a text from him saying, "Bae, I miss you so much. Why haven't I heard from you?". It almost broke my heart, but I could not reply right then. I was refusing to start this experience over so I had to be strong.

My friends called and text me like crazy!! This experiment almost was not completed when my sister came to my house telling me about her and her husband's fight. He was going to get a call from me and get an ear full. If you can tell, I was not pleased with him. I composed myself and talked her into going to our mom and letting her handle the situation. The next evening when the lights returned, I text my boyfriend and checked on my sister.  Experiment complete!


Self Reflection

I think that this has been an eye opening experience. I have been gone a day and a half without any type of technology. I learned so much from my visit with my great grandmother about my family history. I can see that I am greatly dependent on technology for communication, school and just entertainment. I AM A FACEBOOK ADDICT! Going without updating a status or posting a picture was so hard for me but now that I have gone without it, it is not as difficult staying off the social site now as it was in the past. I can say that I am going to take another day away from my cell phone, computer and television. I have always wanted to go sit by a body of water and reflect on my life and just get away from the everyday hustle and bustle of life. I need a break from all the drama and my relationship and family sometimes. I want to thank Dr. Strange for setting this experiment as an assignment because it was a great exercise of getting to know myself.  

As I come into the classroom as an educator, I know that my students will be heavily dependent on technology because it is what they have become accustomed to. The cell phones, the computers, the video game systems, etc., are evolving everyday and this is going to pull students more and more into technology but the question is, "Is that such a bad thing?" Technology is becoming educational and I feel that as an educator, you have to use the tools given to you to help your students attain knowledge.














No comments:

Post a Comment