Friday, February 24, 2012

Blog Assignment #3

Effective Peer Editing
I can honestly say after watching the "What is peer editing?",  "Writing Peer Reviews Top 10 mistakes", and reading the "Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial", I now have a better understanding of how to evaluate a classmate's work. These videos and slideshow takes peer editing step by step.
 Step 1: Compliments
 Compliments are meant to be positive remarks about a student's work. Stay Positive about it, but be honest with the student at the same time. Examples would be "I love the topic you chose" or "Your vocabulary usage is excellent!". Motivate him or her to keep up the great work.
Step 2: Suggestions
Suggestions are also meant to be positive while being specific about what should stay or be change in your peer's work. The key to this is to be as specific as possible!! Things like word choice, sentence structure, organization, topic and details are what make a student's work. Please don't cheat your classmate out of a good grade.
Step 3:Corrections
Corrections means exactly that...CORRECT what is wrong with the work. That includes grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling.

**My reaction to the kids video is that is was priceless. I have known a few students to really be like that when it came to peer editing in high school, especially the "Social Sammy". I had a friend who would always choose me to help her with her paper and her cousin was in the class as a class helper. They would talk and talk and talk and by the end of the class period, she had nothing done. I loved how accurate the kids were about those different situations. I would so watch that video over again just to listen to the interaction!!!
**My classmate's name was Jonathan Freeman. His blog post was interesting. Although, I found some grammatical errors and some interesting sentence structure, it was pretty on point. Unfortunately, I didn't let him know that so I failed in what I should have done to begin with. I can make this promise though, I will do 1000% better on my next classmate blog while keeping in mind these steps.

Part II:
Technology in Special Education
This is an awesome video created by a special education teacher to show how using technology benefits her special needs kids. The use of technology in the classroom isn't always a bad thing. Some teachers don't like computers in the classroom for fear of a student getting distracted by the world wide web.

Ms. Cook has taken what some teachers see has a distraction and turned it into an educational tool. Her students communicate using technologies such as computers. She interviewed 3 different student about using the computer and asked them if it made their assignments easier. All 3 answered with the same answer: Yes. The students even got a better understanding of the assignments as in the case of the student using the iPod Touch to listen to his book. She also stimulated the students' eagerness to learn with interactive video. This, I would think, helps the student to visualize what he or she is attempting to understand. As I have said before, not all students are auditory learners. Most are visual.

I see myself using computers in my classroom in order for my students to do presentations, check the class blog that I'm going to create, allow them to communicate with other blogging students, etc. I want to also teach them about "Internet Awareness". They would learn what is and what is not safe information to put out into the cyber world. As for my special needs students, I would try to get funding for iPads so that they could use them to better communicate and understand what is going on in the classroom. This would require me to find different apps for them but I know that it would be worth it, just to know that the student learned at least one thing in my class that day.

How the iPad works with academics for autism???
Technology in the classroom is an awesome idea, especially for those students with special needs. As I have said in the previous post, students have different learning styles. In most classrooms, a teacher will encounter students with disabilities similar to Autism. What is Autism? According to http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism, autism is defined as a child's inability to communicate and interact in social environments.
"These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors"
There are applications provided by the Apple Store that can help students who live with Autism. Since I will be teaching secondary education/ social studies, I think that finding an app for my subject would be a little difficult. Although, there was one application that caught my eye as I searched through the iTunes Store. The application is called Virtual History ROMA. This app sends students on a virtual tour of ancient Rome. In my mind, a student can learn more by seeing history, instead of just reading about it in a textbook.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
Basically this site is a counter for how the world is updating on a second by second basis. Even as I type this blog, the counter is increasing more and more. The more the counter increases, the more technology is going to change. By the time that I am a professional educator, numerous of new improvisions are going to be made.

For my future profession, this may also mean that I am going to have to become more creative with my teaching techniques. I have always thought outside the box when it came to almost everything that I have done in my life. Now the question has become: "What am I going to do with the time I have now?" Basically, technology builds on top of one another. I feel as though if you know how to operate past programs then you will be able to operate the newer models based on basic knowledge.

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
This video was astonishing. The statistics (percentages and ratios) were mind blowing. I can actually relate to this video, considering I am included in those statistics. Many students, not just college, suffer from bordem in class because all the professor is paid to do is talk, talk, talk, talk, talk and did I mention TALK. The homework or assignments, in my opinion, are good practice to learn the material but by the same token, can be a complete waste of time. Come on, we only read (not learn) enough to get through the next class discussion and sometimes the information that you are reading is NOT EVEN RELEVANT!!! It can sometimes be a complete waste of time and money used to pay for the books. It is beyond important to obtain a diploma and degree in this day and age.

I agree that technology is a more effective way to get work done. When using technology, a teacher can combine the assignment or homework with what the student tinkers with all day, everyday...HIS OR HER COMPUTER. Most, if not all, kids these days are technologically savvy and will be more than happy to get up to a computer. I, personally, loved this video. I think I am going to post it to my facebook page to see what my fellow students actually think.




No comments:

Post a Comment