Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blog Assignment #5

Dr. Scott McLeod is an Associate Professor at The University of Kentucky and an author. He is also a regular blogger and in his blog, "Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff PLEASE" (Which was posted on my 17th birthday but that is neither here nor there ) he expresses his thoughts on technology in life of kids. I love the sarcasm in this post, it almost sounds like he was serious. He basically said that technology was too dangerous for children to use and all the negative things that technology can cause. For example, he uses the phrases "Sexting" and "Cyberbulling" which are both HUGE issues for underage kids. This I can agree with but in the same breathe, I can disagree with some things so I guess I can say that I am neutral. McLeod founded The Center For The Advanced Study of Technology Leadership In Education which is dedicated to the technological needs of needs of school administrators. Oh the irony!! I enjoyed reading his blog post because it actually made me really look at the dangers of the Internet and other technologies. I know that when I become a secondary educator, I am really going to have to monitor how my students do with technology and remind them about the dangers.

Travis Allen
WHAT AN EXTREMELY ACCOMPLISHED YOUNG MAN!! I totally enjoyed his youtube videos and I even joined his initiative!! After listening to iSchool, his solution to massive budget cuts, teachers being let go and the increase in class sizes affected school systems I was floored. He was only 17 years old when he came up with this solution. iSchool is basically teachers and students using Apple based products to interact with one another on an educational basis. I am so in love with this idea and I see myself using this in my own classroom.

I know that school systems have to be persuaded to use certain technologies but I think this initiative is worth the hard work and butt kissing. This solution is going to not only have the school systems money but also decrease the carbon footprint facing the world today...TEAM ECO-FRIENDLY! I have a question: WHO WOULD NOT WANT TO SAVE $450 per student per year when you have well over 10,000 in your school system?! It's beyond amazing! I'm so excited to be apart of the technological educational revolution.

I just have one concern: Although, technology is the new innovative thing, but how often will the technology have to be upgraded? How will all the progress be backed up? How is all the students' and teachers' information being protected? Maybe I can just email Mr. Allen and see what his solution is.

Eric Whitacre
This is an amazing work of orcestrial art. I have never in my 20 years of living heard something so beautifully composed. I was astonished to read Jennifer's comment saying that these people never met and are from all over the world. The harmony was beyond incredible. I thoroughly enjoyed that video!

Kevin Roberts
After watching this video, I can say that Mr. Roberts was very informative but very boring at the same time. I would have rather a video of him talking about these issues than having to read at a fast pace like that. Now to the task at hand, Roberts expression about 21st century teaching leads back to technology. Using the social sites, search engines, etc. that students use on a daily basis outside of the classroom. He does have a point, but he is basically making the same point as the rest of the "modernizers". Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. Also keep in mind that this is my blog as well. His position is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! As educators, we have to be filters to the internet. Anything can be posted to Wikipedia so as an instructor, it would be my job to make sure that my students had the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Reading Rocket:
The first thing you notice when you go on the Reading Rockets website is that fact that the website is not just for teachers but for principals, librarians, parents and other professionals. This lets me know that this is not just a site for teachers but for EVERYONE! I know that this website will most definitely come in handy when I begin my teaching career.

Right off the bat I saw so many resources that could be used in my classroom. As a student who has an issue with comprehension, I have to read over something more than once to actually understand what is being asked of me. The comprehension apps caught my attention. With applications such as Aesop's Quest (teaching students to memorize that elements of the story), MiniMod's Reading for Details ( instructing students on the 'who, what, when, why, and how' rules of reading a story), and Opposite Ocean ( teaching students antonyms) would be great for 6-8th grade students. Apps like these would give middle schoolers the tools needed to build a good academic school record.


Not only does this site give resources for teaching students, it also provides resources for first year teachers (i.e. ME upon graduation). Clicking on the First Year Teacher's link, then clicking on "Become A Teacher: A Survival Guide for New Teachers", it leads you to The US Department of Education. Here you will see titles such as, "Working with Veteran Teachers", "Working with Parents" and "Working with Principals". In more common words, this guide takes you step by step in dealing with the people that you are going to interact with on a daily basis in your 1st year and however many years that you plan to teach. GRRREAT RESOURCE for teachers.


3 comments:

  1. Don't forget you need to add a picture to every blog you post and do the the alt/title modifiers. Make sure your proof read I found a couple of minor writing mistakes. I love everything you wrote. We are definitely on the same page.

    Ash Baumann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not understand your comments on Dr. Mcleod. You say you are "neutral" but it appears to me that you argue both sides of the use technology or get behind argument and whether to be afraid of the negatives of the Internet or not. Your comments are very confusing to me!

    "Maybe I can just email Mr. Allen and see what his solution is." Do it. Share what you learn with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Strange,

    When I say I am neutral...There are come things that I can agree on and disagree on at the same time. I only explain my point of view. It's kind of complex I know and I apologize for confusing you.

    ReplyDelete