Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blog Post #10


This is an interesting picture. I had to do some research to find out what a Ticonderoga was supposed to be and why it was better than papermate. I found that it was a thicker wooden pencil and it is also more expensive. I guess this picture illustrates that the quality of Papermate is weaker than that of Dixon Ticonderoga. Truthfully, I am not totally understanding this picture. I'm thinking it may be sarcasm or the companies are picking at one another...I just really do not know. Then I became an investigator!! I read through the comments and in doing so found out that this particular blog post is a spoof on the difference between MAC and PC. I had that slap yourself in the forehead moment. I'm still a little on the confused side though. Is he trying to say that PAPERMATE represents PC and TICONDEROGA represents MAC?? If that is the case then that is something that I don't think I can whole heartedly agree with. As a MAC user, I haven't really experienced any problems until now with my hard drive. I don't think it is the computer's fault, that the owner is messing up and not taking care of it as they should.

Mr. Spencer
This is a teacher that follows the rules, but in his own way. He is clever enough to allow the kids to enjoy the lesson without making them feel as though they are learning. This is a complicated strategy to learn, but it is well worth it in the end because the students are learning the concept in a "non-boring" fashion. It was genus how he handled the principal!! He was not lying when he said that they were learning, but at the end when he broke down his plan to "create an algorithm factory and integrate it into our Conflict-Oriented Reading and Writing Project (a.k.a. The Factory Game)." was genus. The principal didn't even know that he was talking about continuing with "The Factory Game". This was humorous and it made me chuckle a little. I want to be like Mr. Spencer when I grow up. 

I liked his blog so much that I "went back in time", as Dr. Strange would say, to check out some other blog posts and I found this one that really made me really scratch my head as to why would this even be a conversation or issue, he titled it, "Are Pencils Making Us Narcissistic?". Now this really caught my attention because students use pencils to communicate with friends and teachers alike. Why is it such a crime? I honestly think that as an educator, you have to be aware of the things in which your students have become accustomed. The thinking that a student would become self-centered because of a pencil is crazy to me. I agree with Mr. Spencer, a MIRROR would make a student more self-centered than a pencil would any day. I really enjoy reading his blog posts. They bring a smile to my face and some enlightenment to my brain. 



DR. SCOTT MCLEOD, Ph. D.

From my understanding, Dr. Scott McLeod is serving as director of innovations at a school in Iowa. It is probably far fetched from his regular position as an assistant professor at the University of Kentucky. I also remember is name from the "Did You Know?" video assignment at the beginning of the semester. He is well decorated with awards and honors for his part in education. If you want to take a look at his accomplishments, click here -----> Scott McLeod Bio <-----

It was interesting to know that the Don't teach your kids this stuff. Please? was posted on my 18th birthday!! Just a fun nugget. Back to the topic at hand. The question is, does he make valid points? The answer would be YES, DUH!! Some people are scared of technology and all its advances which are hurting their kids. The internet, iPads, tablets, kindles, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. are all great tools for students to use!! In my opinion, it is all about how you allow your children and students to use these tools. If you don't feel quite comfortable with them using them by themselves, go to your computer settings and place a block on certain things or place a time restriction on when they can and can't use the internet. I read through the comments made in 2011 and they are telling me that students who use technology will have a better chance for advancement over the ones who choose to live in the dark ages. 

Where do you think the world would be if not for the internet?! The connections that you can make, the ideas that you can share with the world...IT'S ALL APART OF ADVANCEMENT! I mean, would rather be stuck with your nose in a book or would you rather be in the field, experiencing these things first-hand? I am not one for writing letters so I will shoot family members e-mails or facebook messages. "Real-time" is an amazing thing! Those that don't embrace technology aren't going to be shunned from the rest of the world, but they will be lost for a while until they come to the technological light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment