Thursday, April 4, 2013

Comment 4 Teacher


Mrs. Heidi Siwak is an awesome teacher. When I first went to her blog, my attention immediately went to the "about me" section. She and her student design apps and lead innovative talks!! You can't say that about every teacher in the world. She has to be something special. 

Now I am not sure about what Salience is, but from the context clues of the blog it is a tool used to deal with complex tasks and decision making. When I commented, I told her who I was, what I was majoring in and that this was a great idea. I also asked her to clarify so that I didn't get the wrong idea about what she was trying to teach. I am definitely follow her on Twitter. She seems that she has some great ideas and I would love to stay in contact with her.


This is the most interesting of the posts that I have read by Mrs. Siwak. She is teaching her students that there is no such thing as a "bad idea". She is allowing them to think of more creative ways to transform what they think is a bad idea into a good idea. Education is all about the ideas of others and how to add to a person's knowledge base. So, for her project Mrs. Siwak and her students took the idea of turning the gym at her school into a chicken coop. Now to start with, we all know that this is not the best idea in the world, but Mrs. Siwak didn't tell her students that. She instructed them to revamp the idea and they came up with businesses that profited from chicken! Awesome right?! So then they, the students, went on to come up with ways that it would benefit them in the long run. They came up with how it would help them to learn business skills which in turn led to the idea of creating a business class as apart of the academia! Who would have thought that the idea of turning the gym into a chicken coop would result in the idea of a business class. I, for one, am in amazement. I commented to her and told her how great this idea was and in hopes of feeding off of her ideas, I gave her my email address so that we could feed off of each other's ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment